First Home Owners Grant — Everything first home buyers need to know
The First Home Owners Grant (FHOG) is the Australian government’s way of making things easier for first home buyers like you. It’s a genuine grant that you don’t have to repay; nor do you pay interest on it. Consider it a gift from the government.
How do you get the grant?
Although the First Home Owners Grant is a national initiative, each state manages its own program so you will need to apply to your individual state's Office of State Revenue.
If you’re in WA or Victoria, and you’re looking to become a first home owner, Resolve Finance can help you get your First Home Owners Grant, when you apply for your home loan.
First home buyers in WA are eligible for a one-off $7,000 grant, whether you’re building or buying an existing house. To qualify, you must:
- Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- Never have owned a residential property in any State or Territory of Australia.
- Never have received a First Home Buyers Grant from any State or Territory of Australia.
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Occupy the home as your principal place of residence for a continuous period of at least 6 months within 12 months of the completion of the FHOG transaction.
What’s more, stamp duty for first home buyers is waived (for homes of up to $500,000 in value).
First home buyers in Victoria are also eligible for a one-off $7,000 whether you’re building or buying an existing house.
The qualification criteria for the First Home Owners Grant in Victoria are:
- You and your partner can’t have received a grant in Australia before.
- You and your partner can’t have owned residential property in Australia, prior to 1 July 2000.
- You and your partner can’t have owner-occupied an Australian property after 1 July 2000.
- You must be a person (not a company) and be at least 18 at the time of settlement or completion of construction.
Stamp duty concessions are available for first home buyers in Victoria too - the reduced amount will depend on the purchase price and only applies to homes up to $600,000 in value.
Find out if you can get the First Home Owners Grant
Enquire below to have one of our consultants call you about the first home buyers grant within 24 hours. They’ll be able to tell you on the spot if you’re eligible for the First Home Owners Grant.